Helpful navigation toolbar

Friday, April 29, 2011

Saturn Rockets - Kennedy Space Center

Hello from Florida! As most of you know, my wife and I have spent the past few days here in Florida with the ultimate goal of viewing the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour STS-134 that was supposed to occur today at 3:47PM. Unfortunately, there was an issue with two heaters on Auxiliary Power Unit 1 and the launch was scrubbed. The absolute earliest that a launch can occur now is Monday, which (if it happens) will be good, but that is the latest date that we will be able to stay as we are slated to fly back home the following day. Delays are bound to happen, although I think the words of John Glenn sum it up perfectly:

"I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract."

So, here are two photos from our trip to Florida of two of the massive rockets in the Saturn family. The first is the Saturn I-B that is on display at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex "Rocket Garden", while the second is the end of the massive Saturn V rocket that is on display at the Apollo/Saturn V Center, located at a different portion of the Kennedy Space Center. It is really astonishing to see just how massive these rockets are in person, no photo can truly do either of them justice!


Saturn I-B


Saturn V


If you are so inclined, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback. Also remember that clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view this (and my other photos) in various sizes. If you enjoyed this post, please take the time to pass my post(s) on to others whom you also feel would enjoy my work. Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. Oh geez Brian, I hope they can fire that baby off while you guys are still there! What great photos you've posted today! I especially love that top one, that's a great shot with a fantastic sky as a backdrop to it!

    ReplyDelete